By: Elizabeth Donovan, M.A.
As moms, we are warriors of daily chicken nugget battles, dirty diaper duty, running tactical night time nursing missions, soldiering on as we run our 10th carpool of the evening, and manning the position as CEO of everything from drool to teenage drama. It’s no wonder that we often lose ourselves in a fashion abyss of over-sized sweat pants, Adidas sneakers, and forgo any signs that we used to wear make-up.
But just because we are busy moms, doesn’t mean we have to completely let ourselves go, does it? According to Patty Bell, a film and television make-up artist, absolutely not: “Time is crucial to moms, and sometimes adding just a touch of makeup can instantly take you from frumpy to fabulous in an instant.” Bell has transformed many moms on popular “makeover shows” and believes if moms take a few extra minutes for themselves in the morning, you can look and feel your best. Not to mention your new-found self confidence will make you a better parent!
Transforming the way you look whether you are a stay-at-home mom or a working mom doesn’t have to be costly or time consuming. Minutes and seconds are precious commodities in our lives and so our sense of fashion needs to fit into overly crammed schedules. Changing small parts of ourselves has the added benefit of boosting moms self-esteem. In fact, recent studies have shown that by changing something positively about the way you look can have a profound effect on a woman’s self esteem. Moms feel better, look better, and are better moms when they take a few minutes to take care of themselves.
Try these time-saving tips to boost your self esteem and instantly transform yourself from frumpy to fabulous!
Go From Frumpy to Fabulous::
Get your mommy groove back with new underwear:
“One of the best things women can do to improve their look is to start with the right underwear,” says Rachel LeRoy, author and owner of intimateguide.com. “Visible panty lines make any pants seem out of date.” It’s also important for busy moms to take a moment to find a bra that fits correctly and is comfortable. “The right bra can take years off by lifting breasts to where they should be and giving shirts the right shape,” discloses LeRoy. Got a little “muffin top” or unsightly cellulite on your post-baby body? LeRoy suggests moms invest in a pair of “slimming shape wear” that she says can “take off close to 10 pounds in 2 minutes.” Women in general tend to think about what they wear on the outside more than underneath. “When women update what’s “under there”, it makes a huge difference! “
Make your outfit and personality “pop” by adding a few accessories before you run out of the door in the morning. “Accessories are a great way to add instant flair to any outfit without breaking the budget,” says Nichelle N. Pace, founder and editor of stylemom.com. “Big statement necklaces, bangle bracelets, scarves, and a fantastic pair of pumps are perfect wardrobe enhancements,” she says. But what about the stay-at-home mom who feels trapped in her jeans and sweatpants? Pace has the perfect way to accessorize for her too. “If you’re wearing jeans and a fitted white t-shirt, just add a colorful scarf for instant pop,” she advises. And accessories don’t have to cost you a small fortune. “Chico’s has some great accessories for mom’s on a budget,” says Pace. So go ahead, toss on a scarf or a few bangles, you’ll be glad you did!
Take the 3 minute make-up challenge:
“Makeup can make a big difference,” says Crisit Miller, owner of houppette.com. Miller believes that by taking a few extra minutes in the morning, moms can quickly transform from frumpy to fabulous. “A tinted moisturizer with SPF, concealer, cheek cream blush, Mascara and lip gloss can make a huge difference,” believes Miller. “It will brighten the complexion, get rid if tired eyes and give her a polished look in 3 minutes!” Three minutes? Now that’s a little time most moms can afford in between swigs of coffee and changing dirty diapers.
• Pay attention to your skin tone. Even moms who do apply make up can still have a “washed out” tired-mommy look if they apply the wrong type to their skin. Miller suggests for moms that have redness in their complexions use peach tones for cheeks and lips. For sallow or olive skin, choose pinks! And, “sheer textures for a wash of color will look natural and soft, perfect for everyday and super easy to apply!” The idea is that moms shouldn’t feel overwhelmed when applying make up. A little bit goes a long way.
• Don’t forget to glam-up yourself in seconds with lip gloss. Every mom knows that seconds are precious when you are trying to do a thousand things at once, but make-up artist Patty Bell insists that it doesn’t take much effort to look and feel like a million bucks.”Don’t forget the lip gloss to glam up your “mom-ness,” says Bell. “Rosebud’s strawberry lip balm adds a touch of color and is a great all round moisturizer for lips, nails, hair and skin- another great time saver,” she says. “Any lip gloss instantly brightens your face and smile, giving you a younger look.” Another great perk about lip gloss is that you can apply it just about anywhere so it’s the perfect item to spice-up the look of moms-on-the-go.
• Say good-bye to those dark circles. “Nothing says tired mom like circles under the eyes,” confesses Bell. “Concealer is a mom’s best friend, and another product that can take a few years off.” Bell recommends Yves St.Laurent’s Touche Eclat concealer as it not only conceals dark circles, but also highlights and brightens eyes without appearing cakey.
Shop your closet Swap Parties:
In need of a new mommy wardrobe makeover but don’t want to spend the cash? Then swap your wardrobe instead! Nichelle N. Pace, founder and editor of stylemom.com, has discovered the key to keeping her wardrobe updated and fashion savvy, “Get the wine and cheese, a sitter for the kids, and invite your gal pals over for a swap party,” she says. “Most of us have things in our closet, some even with the tags on it that we haven’t worn or may not like the fit anymore.” Simply send out invitations to your gal pals requesting clothing in good
condition and a variety of sizes. Not only is this a great way to update your look, but it provides moms with a wonderful way to laugh and bond. “Swap parties are a super fun way to not only get a new outfit or item for your wardrobe, but also just another good reason to get together with the gals,” advises Pace.
Keep a “Play dress up” mentality.
Pace, also encourages moms to have a playful attitude when picking out an outfit. “When getting ready for a night out or an event, invite a girlfriend over for another perspective to get some new ideas,” says Pace. “Remember, most women don’t run out of clothes, we run out of ideas! Don’t be afraid to get creative and express yourself.”
Remember, you don’t have to spend a lot of money or take hours at a time to make small changes to your wardrobe and personal style. By making a few basic changes, moms can feel and look like a fabulous at any age!
- Stylish Options for Moms with No nonsense® Tights and Leggings
- Moms – Time to Perk Up your New Year
- Caboodles “In My Case” – Perfect for Tween and Teen Girls
- Yes! "You Can Make This" Giveaway!
- Is this what we’re REALLY like?