By: Jennifer Scullion
Flowers, showers, newborn chicks, bunnies galore! Celebrate the coming of Spring with these fun activities your little girl will be sure to adore! Try these fun and easy crafts to usher in Spring and make your house bright and cheerful.
Materials: 2 white sheets of card stock, 1 yellow piece of felt, glue, scissors, yellow feathers, glitter glue and stickers (optional)
1. To create the chick’s egg, cut out one large oval from one of the sheets of card stock. Next, zigzag cut across to resemble a cracked egg. Leave ½ inch on the left side of the zigzag cut. (or cut and attach with a brass fastener).
2. Cut out a circle for the head of the chick from the other piece of card stock. Cut a circular piece of felt and glue onto the card stock circle.
3. Using a piece of orange felt, cut out a triangle beak.
4. Glue the large google eyes, beak, and feathers onto the head.
5. Next, glue the head on the back of the bottom half of the cracked egg. Be sure it is hidden behind both parts of the egg when you close the egg.
Open and shut the cracked egg to find a cute baby chick inside!
Spring Finger Puppets
You can create this adorable bunny with just a few materials! Little hands will need help with the glue gun.
Materials: White felt, pink felt, small google eyes, white pom-pom 1 ½ in., three ½ in. small pom-poms, tiny pink pom-pom, craft glue or hot glue gun
1. Cut out two white bunny ears from the white felt. Next, cut out pink for the middle of the ears. Glue on the white part.
2. Attach the ears with glue or glue gun to the large white pom-pom. Then attach two of the smaller pom-poms to make bunny cheeks and the other small pompom for a tail. Last, glue on the little pink pom-pom to create a cute bunny nose.
3. Glue on the google eyes and your bunny’s head is complete. Set aside.
4. Next, cut a rectangular piece of felt about 5 to 6 inches wide by 2 ½ inches tall. Measure around your little girl’s finger before gluing.
5. Glue the felt into a tubular shape and then gather at the top. Using a glue gun, seal the top of the tube closed.
6. Glue the pom-pom onto the top of the felt tube to complete the bunny puppet.
Use the above directions for the bunny as a guide.
Create an adorable chick puppet with the following materials:
1 ½ inch yellow pom-pom, yellow feather, small google eyes, small piece of orange felt for beak
Your little girl will have fun creating Spring plays and songs with her new finger puppets!
(Adapted finger puppet ideas from PomPoms: 50+ Projects by Holly Witt)
Tissue Paper Flower Garden
Little girls love tissue paper, so have fun helping them plant tissue paper flowers for this fun art activity.
Green, Purple, and yellow construction paper, bright colored tissue paper, a pencil or crayon, glue, and scissors
1. Cut out thin rectangles from the green construction paper for flower stems. Set aside.
2. Fold the purple piece of construction paper into thirds- horizontally. Cut out one of the rectangles.
3. Glue the purple rectangle onto the bottom of the yellow construction paper.
4. Place the bottom of the flower stems and put them under the top of the purple paper.
5. Cut out a dozen or more squares of tissue paper to make flowers.
6. Wrap one square of tissue paper around a crayon or pencil. Be sure the crayon or pencil is in the middle of the square. Put a dab of glue on the bottom of the wrapped utensil.
7. Next, put the wrapped pencil or crayon and glue the first tissue paper into another square to give the flower a 3-D look. Put glue on the bottom and glue to the top of a stem. Repeat the above steps for each flower.
8. Once all of your flowers are on., your Spring flower garden is complete.
Hang up your daughter’s garden to celebrate Spring!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Jennifer Scullion, former Elementary Education teacher, is the mother of two young girls. She is also the author of the following parent blogs: Creative and Curious Kids and God’s Shining Stars.
- Creative Halloween Crafts
- Cool Art Stuff to Make With Your Daughter.
- DIY: Studded spring cape
- Spooktacular Halloween Activites
- Creative Baby Shower Decorating Ideas