By: Elizabeth Donovan, M.A.
Strawberries. They are perhaps one of the most delightful fruits available and the months of May and June are prime time to enjoy them. Strawberry season always reminds me of the start of summer and brings back fond memories of when I was a child and my mother world take me strawberry picking in the fields of Pungo in Virginia Beach. Recently, I decided it was high time I took my own three daughters out to the strawberry fields.
I found a great family run farm about 45 minutes from our house, Hollin Farms in Delaplane, VA, and packed up the husband and girls for an afternoon of eating and picking. We managed to fill quite a few containers in the hot, sweltering sun. I believe we had as much fun eating the strawberries off the vine as we did filling our buckets!
However the real prize was when mommy got home and whipped out her “Super Fabulous Strawberry Shortcake Recipe” to make what has to be one of the yummiest recipes of all time (yes, I’m bragging, it really is that good!). To top it off I used the fresh strawberries the girls picked which made the dessert even more scrumptious and special. I want to share my recipe secret (well, not so secret anymore!) with you because it really is one of the best and is sure to garner you lots of compliments from your children, friends, and family! Enjoy and Happy Memorial Day!
Super Fabulous Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
• 3 pints fresh strawberries
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 tbsp. shortening (*may be omitted)
• 1 egg
• 2/3 cup milk
• 2 cups whipped heavy cream (*or Reddi Whip topping)
• 1/4 cup cinnamon & sugar mixed evenly together
1. Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup white sugar and the salt. Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
5. Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
- Birthday Cakes for Girls that “Wow!”
- Allergen free and Vegan Springtime Treats
- Starting the Day Right with Breakfast
- Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day With Your Family
- Get ready to get Dirty with delicious Dirt Cake!