By: Alex Aus Dem Norden.
Binge drinking involves drinking a lot of alcohol in a short span of time. This problem is gigantic, affecting all parts of the world, including America’s youth. Generation Y is binge drinking in an effort to be adventurous and fun-loving, but instead, they are getting addicted to alcohol. Here are some of the most dreadful results of binge drinking that explain how it is engulfing the overall spirit of today’s youth.
Lack of Concentration and Poor Performance: Consuming alcohol beyond the permissible limits is becoming the main cause of poor performance of the college students. Partying late nights is squeezing all the energy meant to be utilized in learning and studies. Students are not able to concentrate on the subjects and avoiding classes has become a routine among them as they are not in position to even stand straight the next day due to hangover. All this is resulting into poor grades and numerous students are abandoning the studies halfway. Such irresponsible behavior is degrading the quality of life and they are bound to do inferior jobs in long run.
Increase in Crime Rate: Youth, in the desperation to meet the alcohol needs, is attracted towards money from the shortcuts. Most of the robbing incidences reported are found to be the acts of young people trying to make money for buying alcohol. They do not hesitate to hurt people or injure them to overpower them in order to get the money from them. Burglaries are also on a high and the convicts are shockingly, youth. Unwanted sex and drug rape are other crimes that are putting young people in irreparable loss situation for lifetime. The lack of self-control due to alcohol abuse is the main cause of unpleasant events happening in the lives of American Youth.
Death in Road Crashes and Vandalism: The statistics are full of incidences where families have lost their sons and daughters untimely due to road crashes. The prime reason found was drunk driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol is main cause of damage to life and property. Youth involved in drunk driving pose a threat to public property and life. There is a need to launch massive awareness campaign among students to promote safe driving and avoiding of driving when drunk. The Youth turning into hooligans under the influence of alcohol provide a very unpleasant sight. They abuse, get into fights and cause damage to the shops and kiosks.
Around 7.5 million college students in America binge drink. The stature of the problem can be guessed by the statistics and so it is really important to make every effort possible to free the young population of America from the clutches of alcohol addiction.
How to Handle the Problem of Binge Drinking:
1. Awareness Campaigns and Interactive Sessions: The dialogue between parents and youth is essential to understand the root cause of binge drinking. Safe environments at home and proper interference of parents in the matters related to parties and celebrations may prove helpful. Proper guidance and a friendly chat to make the young mind understand the importance of keeping good company can make the difference.
2. Stricter Laws: Laws should be made stricter to combat the problem by inducing fear about breaking the alcohol consumption norms. It has to be made clear to the youth about the permissible limits of alcohol consumption and about the consequences they will face on crossing the limits.
3. Cut on Alcohol Oaths: It is really important to make the youth emotional and strong about not succumbing to alcohol addiction. It should be posed like a matter of pride to them to work upon the cutting on alcohol consumption. Whenever there are sudden bouts of urges, it is important to guide them to remind their oath of not ruining the life in the hands of alcohol.
4. Increasing Number of ‘no-alcohol’ Days: Once the dangers of alcohol abuse are realized, it will be of great help if ‘no-alcohol’ days are included on weekly basis. Then number of these days should be increased to subsequently erase the alcohol completely out of life.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
This is a guest post by Alex Aus Dem Norden, occasional guest blogger, and full time activist. While Alex’s interests span a myriad of topics his main concern recently has been increasing the awareness of binge drinking within adolescents, and helping people with alcoholism treatment.
- Binge Drinking Teens: Know the Dangers and How to Help
- Top 3 Topics to Discuss Before Your Daughter Goes to College
- My Daughter Doesn’t Drink Alcohol…Does She?
- Teen Girls Now Abuse Drugs More Than Boys
- A Guide to Preparing for Prom